Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Intro-Stephanie Loomis

Hello, my name is Stephanie Loomis, a senior SM major with a recreation minor. I hail from a small town south east of Bowling Green called Fostoria, Ohio. Some of you might be familiar with the nicknames "Fo-ledo, or Fo-troit." It is a small city with two high school, one parochial and one public. I graduated from the public school with about 160 classmates.

Fostoria High is home of the Redmen, somewhat controversial mascot in this day in age, but I took pride in it for years. I participated in four years of varsity basketball and softball. I still stay active in both sports by playing intramural basketball and pick-up games. I continued my softball career here at BGSU with the club team.  I am currently the president of the club, for the third year. It causes some stress because of the planning and time it takes to make all the arrangements with opposing teams, umpires, etc. But it's worth it to be able to continue my favorite sport. In basketball I was typically a point guard, but often times the lineup would include girls my height or an inch taller. Which lead to me somehow adopting a post position, crazy right? My junior and senior year I either tied our leading rebounder or was a close second. I supposed it's because of my excellent box-out! In softball I am now considered a utility player, because I can cover every position with a high skill level. I have been playing fast pitch since the age of seven or eight, so the softball diamond is second nature. In my younger years I played the part of shortstop. This position quickly became my home and my comfort zone. I recently found out I have  a torn rotator cuff, in my throwing shoulder, which I'm sure you can conclude is somewhat problematic. Thank goodness for Cortisone injections which get me through the harsh pains and makes playing with a little reserve bearable. I was scheduled to have surgery to repair the damage at the beginning of August but decided to postpone it until school wouldn't have to take a backseat to my recovery. I am still going to attempt to play this school year, so hopefully the ol' shoulder holds up for my senior season.

The female athlete I would most want to see compete in her element would be Abby Wambach. She is a phenomenal soccer star. I have never been a HUGE soccer fan, I enjoy playing the sport and watching in small doses. But after her most recent Olympic performance, I have become a true soccer fan. (US Women's soccer specifically) She was so tenacious and inspiring throughout her play, it was undeniable that she is the total package.

The male athlete I would most like to see would be Brett Favre (as a Packer). He was my favorite athlete as a kid. I was totally into his demeanor and his successes. I wanted to find some way to attain all of his records and better them. Even as I got older I enjoyed watching Brett play as a Packer, even when he had a few roller coaster seasons.  That is until he learned how to use his camera phone, then his departure was a little more justified. But once a Packer, always a Packer in my heart. Glad I could grow up watching his talent on the field. 


While taking sport and gender I hope most of all to gain a better understanding of gender roles, ways athletes identify themselves sexually, physically, emotionally, and socially. I believe all are vital to the success of each athlete and even people like us studying to manage the athletes and products presented by sport and the way it is influenced by gender.
 

1 comment:

  1. I had interested from your city nick name. I am from South Korea. My city doesn't have nick name like your city. Thus, it is very interesting to me. Also, you played a lot of sports when you were young. When I was young, I was playing soccer only because I could not have chance for trying other sports, also most Korean guys are playing soccer, so I followed them. I have a question about how many sports American have experienced in high school?

    ReplyDelete