Monday, August 27, 2012

Introduction - RJ Hefflinger

By: RJ Hefflinger

Choosing just one favorite athlete is a tough question to answer. I have had many over the different  time periods of my life. Right now I would have to say my favorite
athlete is, due to the timing of this class is, Denard Robinson. He is the most explosive and dynamic college football player in the game. He has the ability to beat an opposing team through the air passing as well as on the ground, as long as he does not get hurt. I am a Michigan fan and have been for pretty much my whole life. Denard has surprised pretty much the entire wolverine nation as well as many football critiques from fist laying foot on the Michigan campus. He continues to get better and make better decisions and hopefully leads us to a perfect season and a national championship. Game 1 will certainly be a huge test for them, starting the season off with #2 Alabama over in Cowboys Stadium.


My favorite female athlete is Danica Patrick. Yes I know what you are thinking and no you are wrong, I don’t just say that because of her Go-Daddy commercials. I respect her and all that she has accomplished in a mainly male domain of a sport. She is respected among the other drivers of the league and she has been able to get her name just as popular Dale Earnhardt’s after all the years he had been at it.  Its really quite amazing how fast the word of a woman driver in Nascar is spread throughout sports fans. Even people that don’t care for Nascar know her name. The thing that gets me is she still has yet to win a race! She has all this press and popularity however not a single victory in Nascar. I hate to be a critic but with all that attention she gets it would be nice to get a win, not only for her and her team but Nascar as a whole.




I like pretty much every sport that involves competition. I try to get as many intermural teams together as I can, even if we are not competitive in them it is still good to interact and have a little fun during college. I like football the most out of all the sports, I always have since I started playing flag football in 4th grade. Basketball and hockey come next and then followed by baseball and soccer and the golf. My teams are: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Michigan Football and Basketball, Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, BGSU Hockey (the most out of all the teams but I like all the teams here). I also wakeboard at Clear Lake, Indiana. I am just getting into the sport and it is not that easy transferring over from snow skis. I landed my first back roll and tantrum this year so I am still pretty pumped about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oUIITsKuq4  - Wakeboarding Competition


I am taking this class for a couple of reasons. First off I have to for sports management, second I’d like to broaden my knowledge on both female and male athletics and their roles of economic and social impact on people. I am not too familiar with women’s sports so I hope to become a little more educated. Also I want to learn more about title 9 and what and who were the first athletes and sports to emerge after it came into effect.




1 comment:

  1. We share the same views for Danica Patrick. I would like to see her actually win a race in Nascar, but I feel that that will not happen for a while. I like her attitude and the fact that she does not give or nor let people push here around. I respect your decision with Denard Robinson. He is a very explosive player and he will make a lot of great plays for Michigan. I still think Michigan has some work to do seeing them play against Alabama. So that perfect season you were hoping for is already ruined, and I do not think a championship this year is going to happen either. It is great to have goals though! I myself have tried to wakeboard, but I could never get the board out of the water. It takes a lot of practice, and I do not have a lake so I do not have the time for it. I respect the wakeboarders though. It is a very hard sport to learn.

    Kody Burlingame

    ReplyDelete