Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Introduction- Jacob Beverly


My name is Jacob Beverly and I am a senior majoring in sport management with a minor in journalism. I am from Delta, Ohio, which is about 40 minutes west of Bowling Green. I came to BGSU because of the sport management program; it peaked my interest because I have a passion for sports and can't see myself doing anything else in any other field of study. I am minoring in journalism because I would someday like to become a sports writer and cover major sporting events, I would say watching sports and talking about them is a dream job for me. My favorite sports teams are THE Ohio State Buckeyes, Indianapolis Colts, New York Yankees, and Detroit Pistons.

The male athlete that I would pay to see play is Derek Jeter. I would pay to see him play because he has perfected his craft and became one of the greatest players to ever play the game of baseball, you can hate him all you want. It is amazing how he carries himself on the field with all the pressure and expectations that playing for the Yankees brings. He has an endless confidence in himself and a will to win that makes him so great.

The female athlete I would pay to see is Serena Williams. I want to see Serena play because she has also become one of the best players in her sport. She is so passionate about tennis and it shows with her play on the court. I want to see firsthand the passion and emotion that she brings to the sport, along with her ability to rise to the occasion. When the pressure is the highest, she plays her best tennis and that is what separates her from everyone else. 

I am very interested in this class to see just how gender and sport really correlate. There are deeper aspects of sport and gender that I want to learn about, rather than just the difference of a man and woman playing a sport. I think this class will help me in my future as a sports writer and my ability to write about the true meanings behind sport, other than just the game that is being played. It will help me to write stories that will peak the readers interest on a deeper level.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jacob,

    This is a good Introduction for your first blog entry. I especially liked what you wrote when you said: "There are deeper aspects of sport and gender that I want to learn about, rather than just the difference of a man and woman playing a sport. I think this class will help me in my future as a sports writer and my ability to write about the true meanings behind sport, other than just the game that is being played." I hope that you find blogging to be helpful in exploring some of the topics we discuss. Also, it should help if you get involved with the Maxwell Media Watch - but I'm pretty sure we discussed that in class.

    Good start on your blog entries.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete