Monday, August 27, 2012

Wes Gates - Introduction


By Wes Gates:

My name is Wes Gates and I am a senior from Novi, MI which is about a half hour northwest of Detroit.  At Northville High School I played played golf, hockey, and basketball.  However, my last three years I only focused on golf and hockey.  Here at Bowling Green, I am a member of the golf team.

There are a lot of athletes that I admire but I selected Serena Williams for my female athlete and Matt Stafford for my male athlete.  Serena Williams was an obvious decision to me because she is a champion both on and off the court.  She carries herself with a certain intensity that is hard to find in any athlete worldwide.  She has the winners mentality where it is expected and prepared for.  To an athlete like her, it is either winning or nothing.  I believe that is an extremely respectable trait and something I would like to instill in myself.  To me, she is a representation of how competitive and fiery an athlete should be.

For my male athlete, Matt Stafford was my selection.  I've had the chance to watch Matt for his entire professional career in Detroit.  He was drafted by a team that didn't win a game the year prior and came in with a positive attitude and was excited to help turn the ship around.  A lot of athletes would have come in complaining or been hesitant to join such an awful team.  I believe it says a lot about his personality that he is a positive athlete but also a terrific leader.  In just a few short years, he has already led the lions to the playoffs and the team is now moving in the right direction.  On the field he is also a terrific leader and player.  He composes himself with terrific poise.  He also has a will to win that often goes unnoticed.  The following clip comes from Matt's rookie year in the NFL.  I believe the entire video captures his personality, poise, and will to win.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugA8G4rv_8g It is hard to believe that video is of a NFL rookie.  It turns out he dislocated his shoulder and went out and finished the game with the injury which is truly admirable in my opinion.  

There are currently no concerns I have with the class.  Hopefully the class provides a lot of healthy debates a great class discussion.  I'm looking forward to broadening my horizons and hopefully seeing issues in a new light!

1 comment:

  1. By: Josiah Blevins

    Wes I am also from Michigan but am from Brighton. We played Northville a couple of times in hockey so I am very familiar with your school. Matthew Stafford is the male athlete that you would pay to see, which is similar to whom I picked in Calvin Johnson, Stafford’s favorite target. The things you mentioned about Stafford are very true and I too think his toughest is something that is underrated due to all the time he has missed in his short football career. Serena Williams is also another female athlete I would pay to see. The reason I would pay to see her play is because of her competiveness.

    ReplyDelete