Monday, August 27, 2012

Jenny Kelley Introduction


My Name is Jenny Kelley.
I am from Livonia, Michigan, a small city about twenty minutes outside the city of Detroit. Many people do not know or recognize the names of the small cities and towns in Michigan like they do with larger cities such as Detroit, Traverse City, and Mackinac. When telling people where I come from, most of the time simply use my hand as a visual since, for the most part, everyone has an idea of Detroit's location. 

My athletic career ended after my freshmen year here at Bowling Green University. I tried out and made the softball team as a walk-on. Although the experience, girls, and ability to represent the university on the field,other circumstances came up causing a difficult decision and resulting in having to give up my career as a division 1 athlete. During my four years high school I played varsity basketball and softball which now allows me to continue playing basketball here and there as well as highly competitive slow pitch softball. Whenever given the opportunity I would play any sport, any time, any day. 

 If I had to choose a female athlete to see compete live I would choose Missy May. I believe the way she portrays herself on and off the court is amazing. She knows how to play the sport better than anyone out there and has three gold medals to prove it. Missy’s drive, dedication, determination, and will power inspires every female athlete out there and male athletes as well. Even though she has a family who needs her, Missy made the time to train and compete one final time at the 2012 Olympic games truly showing me how much she loves what she does on the beach volleyball court. 

Now as for a male athlete, I would love to see Nick Lidstrom. I am a huge Detroit Red Wings fan coming from the intensely dedicated city of Detroit itself. Nick is a team player; playing each game for his teammates rather than himself. Nick was also well known in his hometown community and helped out several different charities and organizations. I can’t say I’ve known of a professional athlete that dedicates the same amount of time to those in need as he does to his way of life, the sport of hockey. I am sad he will no longer be a Detroit Res Wing but I am glad I can say I saw one of the greatest hockey players ever up close and in action. 

The only concern I have about this class is how the tests will be set up if we do not have a real textbook. I have had classes before that required more outside readings, and the exams sometimes had information that were never in the articles we read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment