Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ryan Hetrick - Introduction

By Ryan Hetrick
 
My name is obviously Ryan Hetrick. I am a junior, Sport Management major from the exotic town of Bowling Green, Ohio. I chose to be a 'townie' because of BGSU's reputation in the Sport Management field. I will be (hopefully) heading out to Las Vegas this summer to complete an internship for the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). I am minoring in marketing and the internship I just mentioned will be following along that path, making contracts with the UFC's sponsors and shadowing a representative of the company to regular business meetings. Staying with the company would be a true dream of mine, so I'm pretty excited and looking forward to the opportunity.
 
In high school I participated/lettered in track & field until my senior year. Injuries cut my basketball and football seasons short in both seventh and eighth grade so I chose to retire at a young age. I continue to run and have set an ultimate goal of completing an Ironman Triathlon within the next 6 years. I have also competed in the Glass City Marathon twice and will be entering for a third time this coming April. On campus, I have joined intramural flag football teams both my freshman and sophomore year, and this fall will be starting a Disc Golf Club on campus.
 
If I could chose any female athlete to watch compete, I would choose Annika Sorenstam. After re-thinking it and hitting up the campus golf course, watching anyone be decent, much less great at golf would be spectacular to see. I know she is retired but I'd be willing to bet her score on 18 holes would beat my round of 9.
 
Below is a link to an article proving my last statement completely true.
 
 
A long time ago, my choice for male athlete to see compete would have been a very easy one, Michael Jordan. Deciding to go against the social norm for athletes, my selection would be from the UFC. Anderson "The Spider" Silva would be my choice athlete to see compete. After a 7 year, 15 fight unbeaten streak, I can't help but be in awe of watching him fight. To most, he his regarding as one of the top three fighters of all time. He's the person that introduced me into the MMA culture and seeing him perform would be a true honor.
 
This highlight video goes through almost all of his fights within the last 6 year for anyone wanting to check it out. 



I am very excited for this Sport and Gender class. I think a lot of interesting topics will be discussed and hopefully some good debates. I have little very concern for this class and am ready for this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment