Monday, August 27, 2012

Derek Zyski Introduction


Hello my name is Derek Zyski, and I am a sports addict from Wayne, OH.  This is my first year at Bowling Green, but my fourth year of college as I spent my first three years at The Ohio State University.  I intend to graduate from Bowling Green with my degree in Sport Management and minor in Journalism, and then return to Ohio State for Grad School.  While in high school I was not the three sport star, or even the one sport star for that matter, but I did play basketball for two years and ran track one, never making it higher than JV.  Since I was not that competitive in high school sports, I do not participate in sports at the collegiate level; I just watch college sports avidly. GO BUCKEYES, and Falcons, but mostly Buckeyes.  My favorite sports to watch are hockey, college football, and then the rest fall in place in no particular order.  My favorite teams are the New York Rangers, Ohio State Buckeyes, Boston Red Sox, Dallas Cowboys, and the Boston Celtics; random I know, but there is a reason for the scatter.

For my “must see” female athlete I would have to say Serena Williams.  I am not a tennis fan and do not follow it very closely; other than when SportsCenter shows the highlights from time to time.  However, I have not lived under a rock for the past 21 years, and I understand the significance of Serena Williams to the game of tennis, as well as her significance to women’s sports as a whole.  I think it would be something special to see her perform in a sport that she has completely dominated throughout her career; almost as Jordanesque pertaining to what he did to the game of basketball.

My favorite male athlete is Ryan McDonagh, Defenseman for the New York Rangers.  This guy is a complete animal, and one of the top young Defensemen in the league.  (Refer to the boxscore under the Time On Icecolumn)  However, since I have seen him play in person a few times, I decided to pick Justin Verlander as my “must see” male athlete.  The way he steps up every time he is called on to pitch is simply incomparable to any other pitcher in the league.  Verlander is the only pitcher that I have ever seen that has the capability of throwing a no hitter every time he is out there.

I do not have any concerns about the class as of now.  I just hope we can all have good discussions as a class and engage in good debates about the material we cover.  

No comments:

Post a Comment