Saturday, August 25, 2012

Kara Arend - Introduction

My name is Kara Arend and I am the TA for SM 4250 this semester.  

I am from Toledo, Ohio – it is the region along the border of Michigan and Ohio, which was officially obtained by Ohio after the Toledo War.  Local college football fans in my hometown take the rivalry between Ohio State and Michigan very serious.  I completed my undergraduate studies at The Ohio State University and it is difficult to hide the fact that I am an avid Ohio State fan.  Although I received my undergraduate degree in psychology, my interest in the sociocultural aspects of sport grew when I met with Dr. Spencer in 2010.  When choosing what university to attend for my master’s degree, she had a great influence on my decision to come to BGSU.  Go Falcons!! 

My participation in sports ended when I went to college.  In high school I ran cross country and I played lacrosse.  Now, I would rather run for fun (if that is possible) and there is no professional women’s lacrosse league (hopefully that will change).  I follow both collegiate and professional sports and there are very few sports I will not watch.  Currently, if I had to choose one female athlete to see compete it would be Missy Franklin at one of her high school meets.  I think that her story in fascinating and if I had the opportunity to interview her that would be an added bonus.  The Detroit Tigers are my favorite baseball team as well as my favorite professional team; I follow them from pre- to post- season.  Every time I have the chance to see Justin Verlander pitch I feel like I am watching something memorable.  However, I’ve always wished that I could have seen "Iron Man" Cal Ripken Jr in person.  Specifically, when he broke the record for most consecutive games played on September 6, 1995. 

In the graduate program my area of emphasis is Sport Administration (SA).  Graduate school has challenged me and I truly enjoy my own classes.  However, I have high expectations for the undergraduate courses I TA because I find your options/thoughts on various subjects very valuable.  Critical thinking is a necessary skill and this course continues to help you develop that skill.  My concern for this course is that discussions will be stalled if people are fearful of sharing their thoughts.  I am looking forward to respectful and insightful class discussions.  If there is a fear to share thoughts publicly then I hope they are expressed in your journals because it is important to reflect on the content of this course.  The readings will supplement the content and your discussions so it helps when you reference them in your journal entries and blogs.  I am excited to get to know everyone and this is going to be a great semester. 

4 comments:

  1. Kara,
    What kind of career are you interested in with a masters in sports administration? I am interested to see what types of careers are available with that degree because I would like to become an athletic director at the high school or collegiate level. I am wondering where to go for grad school or whether or not I need to for a career.
    -ollie goss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara,

    I live 20 minutes from Detroit, so I am a huge Detroit Tigers fan as well. I got a picture with Justin Verlander once and was completely star struck. He hasn't been doing so well lately, but hopefully he (and the whole team!) can turn it around soon. I also picked Missy Franklin to pay to see. I think she is only going to get better! It will be fun to see her in Rio in 2016.

    Lori Raudio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori,

    I spent some time with the Toledo Mud Hens and I was around before Brandon Inge was called up to the Tigers. However, that's the closest I've gotten to meeting a Tiger so I am very jealous you had your picture taken with Verlander. For a while it seemed like Verlander was never going to get past 12 wins and he hardly ever gets any run support! They seem to be turning it around after this past series with the White Sox, but I have no clue what happen in last night's game besides the fact that they once again left men on base (specifically 2 in the 9th!!). They will not have much of a chance for the wild card so I hope they can pull it together. I am very excited for Rio; it will be interesting to see what she can do now that she has her first Olympics under her belt!

    Kara :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kara.

    I am really envy you becasue I want to go to graduate school in sports administration, so I want to ask some questions to you. Did you take GRE test for going to graduate school? when I searched information about graduate school, some people said I should take GRE test, or I don't need to take GRE test. That's confusing. Thus, I don't know what do I have to do.

    Junho Song

    ReplyDelete