Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Conclusion

I never really had an idea of how important of a role gender has in sports until I took this class. I thought we were mostly going to cover the differences in male and female sports, but we went way deeper than that. We discussed how male and female athletes play differently, are treated differently, and are looked at differently. We also did a lot of comparison between the sexes, and we discussed gender role and masculinity/femininity. Along with these topics, we had discussion about things that weren't as directly related to sport and gender, but still appropriate for the class. The thing I found most useful in this class was the freedom to speak. Coming from a community college, I never had a class that relied that heavily on class discussion, and I absolutely loved it. I also loved the blog/journal assignment. I thought this was a great way to keep the class connected throughout the week, and it opened my eyes to see how not one student thinks alike. Reading all the different viewpoints will definitely help me in the future. Although the majority of topics were very interesting, my favorite had to be Michael Jordan. Growing up in Chicago I was certain to be a fan, but I never knew he had that much of an impact on the game and everything surrounding it. My respect and like for him went to a new level after learning that. Again seeing how people think differently will definitely help me in the future, but so will learning about all the differences/similarities between male and female athletes.   
-Michael Discipio

No comments:

Post a Comment