Saturday, October 27, 2012

RUIMUS Situation & School Daze (Spike Lee Film)

This blog is basically my opinion on the RUIMUS situation, along with a little background on what some of the words Imus said on the radio as well.  I will start with the the reference to "jiggaboo's" and "wannabe's".  In Spike Lee's movie School Daze, they have the African-American women with a darker skin complexion being referred to as jiggaboos, and the African-American women with a lighter skin complexion being referred to as wannabes.  One quick difference that I pointed out that they said was that the jiggaboos have "nappy hair", they don't have a lot of hair, and they are afraid to get it wet, whereas the "wannabes" have long straight hair and they are automatically considered pretty because they have a lighter skin complexion.  This video below is a little bit extensive (I'd say you could watch it to about 2:45 to get the just of the meanings, but feel free to watch the whole thing if you like!), but it breaks down some of the difference between the jiggaboos and wannabes in a dance/musical format. (This video is also an excerpt from the actual movie School Daze).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlxI3-8BVKQ&feature=player_embedded

 

Lastly, with the RUIMUS situation, I feel like it was just an unnecessary comment to make, that's all.  Yes, it was just his opinion on it, but at the same time it was disrespectful as well.  Also, him saying that doesn't make it any more right for D.L. Hughley to say it either.  I also believe that just because he is an older Caucasian man, that's why people saw the situation as a form of racism.  If it was an African-American who said that, I feel like it would still be an uproar due to the comment being disrespectful, but it would not be a form of racism. I don't remember exactly who said it in class, but I agree with the fact that African-American's should not be allowed to freely say whatever they want to or toward each other because at the end of the day, we would be beyond upset if anybody else from a different race were to say the same thing to us, and it would be taken as an offense. I just think that all ignorant and negative words period should be put to an end, but that is easier said than done when it's something you are used to and around all the time.

-Turea Moore

7 comments:

  1. Turea,

    Thanks for sharing this clip from School Daze. I was not able to click on it to see the clip, but I think I know what it shows since I watched it prior to our last class. Anyway, I'm glad you explained some of the meanings of the film for those of us who have not seen it. It sounds to me like you are basically in agreement with Maya Angelou's statement that "vulgarity is vulgarity."

    This is well-written entry on our discussion about RUIMUS.

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turea,

    I enjoyed reading this posting and learning the technical meanings of the terms involved in this story. I agree with everything you said, ignorant and racist comments are ignorant and racist no matter who they are said by, whether you are making them about your own race or another race should not matter, it is still offensive. I also think D.L. Hughley was out of line for making comments on it, and I think society should have reprimanded him more than they did, but I think he presented it as comedy in a way to try and cover himself. I think Imus got into more trouble because he was a Caucasian male, but he also was presenting his opinion in a non comedic setting, which made it seem worse than D.L. Hughley. Overall, I think that both were wrong in making any sort of racial statement about the situation in general.

    Jenn Zoellick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turea,

    I liked reading your post and how you explained the terms that I personally did not know the real meaning of them. I agree with you that any racist comment is racist no matter what they say or when they say it. I think D.L. Hughley was trying to make a bad and harsh situation into a joke with making the comments he did on television. However people thought it was funny because he is a comedian and was on a show that you except to laugh at. Hughley was wrong to say those comments he said but it was not seen as racism because Hughley is black. I believe it does not matter what race you are, racial comments are racial comments.

    --Jenny Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turea,

    I like that you explained to us what "jiggaboo's" and "wannabe's" meant. I was not sure what the real meaning of those two words were. I agree that the RUIMUS situation was unnecessary and disrespectful for anyone to make a comment on. In my eyes the comments from both of the guys were bad. Yes D.L. Hughley is a comedian and comedians always try to make any situation funny, but I don't think this was a situation in which someone could make into a joke. What was done was done and the necessary actions took place. I agree that it does not matter what race a person is. Just because Hughley is African-American doesn't excuse him to make a comment like he did about the African-American basketball women. Those were racial comments that should never take place, whether it's from a comedian, radio host, or from any professional.

    -Kody Burlingame

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turea,

    This was a great blog entry. Very informative about the two terms which I had not known the meaning of prior to reading this. I agree with what you said about African Americans not being able to say whatever they want to each other; a racial remark is racist no matter what. I feel like there is a double standard there, and it is uncomfortable to be around when it does happen. As for the Imus situation; I think that was a complete disrespectful slap in the face to the Rutgers women's team, as well as African American women around the country. It is crazy to think that Imus still has a job in the radio industry today after all of that, and I believe that he should've lost his right to have a voice in the everyday media.

    -Derek Zyski

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you when you say that the comment that Don Imus made was an unnecessary comment. Although, it was his opinion which he is allowed to have, the company he works for doesn't allow those types of opinions. With him working for NBC I don't think it was something he should have said. He should have kept it to himself. This also doesn't mean that D.L. Hughley saying it was ok. I believe that he may get a little pass because he is a comedian and because he is African-american. However, I don't think it was right.

    -Tim Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a touchy subject here because there are two sides of the spectrum. On one side you have a racist comment and on the other you should have the freedom of speech, especially as a radio host. Im no agreeing with what Imus said was right in anyway let me just make that clear. In the world today too many people are losing their right to say whats on thier mind without getting in trouble. Media spreds and puts things way out of porportion then they really are. This case was a racist comment forsure but why condemn him for saying what was on his mind, which is what got him his job in the first place. If people didnt like that then dont listen to him. Theres always 2 ways of looking at things and it can be done here. But yes the comment was certainly uncalled for and should not have been said in the first place.

    By: RJ Hefflinger

    ReplyDelete