Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Decline of Female Head Coaches

By: Kristi Kopaniasz
Group members: Jenny, Jenn and Jackie

To say Title IX is quota for coaching is false. Women coaches and head coaches for that matter have decreased since the formation of Title IX until now.

Currently 42.9% of women's teams are coaches by females, however, that number was over 90% in 1972. For men's teams there is only 2-3% females coaching which to me seems understandable. My group said to counter the female head coaching barrier that at least one female coach should be on staff in an assistant role.

Our group talked about having a modified Rooney Rule like they have in the NFL. Having at least one female in the candidate pool. We questioned how many females were actually applying in comparison to the male applicant numbers.

Sports Information Directors had the lowest percent of females at 9.8%. That number to me was shocking. I work for the SID department at BGSU and although I am the only female student assistant and basically the only female period, I thought that it couldn't be like this everywhere.

As more women get into sports and our generation grows I would hope these numbers improve.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you with the fact that it is shocking how the number of female coaches have declined since 1972. However, I don't agree with the fact that atleast one female member should be required to be an assistant. I believe that this will create a lot of problems and other situations. I think females in general wouldn't like it because they may feel that they are just being hired because they have to be. They may not feel apart of it because of that. Sort of how some African American coaches think it's a waste of time in the NFL when they are interviewed for head coaching jobs that they know they aren't going to get. Some feel that they are losing out on an opportunity somewhere else. Although the rooney rule is a good idea, it seems as if its there to just fulfill a requirement.

    -Tim Love

    ReplyDelete