Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Disabled Athletes Excel

By: Kristi Kopaniasz

Over 56 million people in our country have disabilities. Thats approx. 20 percent of our population. Unfortunately over half of those people are not partaking in physical activity. With the Paralympics, it gives people with disabilities the opportunity to excel in a sport on an equal playing field. Although it is not recognized by the NCAA.

This summer we had the summer Olympics, yet the London Paralympics were not televised nearly as much as the "normal" Olympics. As a member of the BGSU Women's Club Volleyball Team, we went to Nationals in Dallas last year. My team had the opportunity to play sitting volleyball after day two of matches. We were so excited to play, not realizing how hard it would be. Because that was not what we were used to it was really challenging.

This disproves the stereotype that disabled athletes can't play and excel. If I were to become disabled, I would try sitting volleyball I would be terrible until I learned how to do it just like it took me several years to get good at regular volleyball. I give these athletes all the credit in the world to not let their disability hold them back. It empowers them to excel.

4 comments:

  1. I do not understand why the Paralympics are not covered more on television because of the fact that 56 million people do have a disability. I feel everyone in their lifetime have been touched by someone who has a disability and are still trying to succeed in sports and physical activities. I personal have had volunteered working a Special Olympic Bowling Fundraiser and was touch by those participating. They were there to have fun, be around friends, and just go out their and try their hardest. I believe more people who are physically able can learn from those who have be effected by a disability.

    -Jenny Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the Paralympics should be televised just as much as the regular Olympics. These athletes have worked just as hard as the other Olympians, and they deserve to have the fame as well. These athletes show amazing perseverance that is incredibly inspiring. I think that if they did televise the Paralympics, it might help to inspire both regular athletes and disabled athletes. I know that if I was a disabled athlete, if the Paralympics were more accessible, I would take full advantage of it. I would love to see athletes in similar conditions excelling at their sport. It would strive me to work harder. I think other disabled athletes would feel the same way. It's important that we give these athletes the coverage and attention they deserve, because it can have a great effect on our society.

    -Jenn Zoellick

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad that the Paralympics weren't televised as much as the Olympics, but I am not surprised this was the case with the economy the way it is today. The unfortunate truth with televising the Paralympics is the ratings would be significantly lower than the Olympics and profits would drop. Hopefully some day when the economy gets back to a better condition the Paralympics will be televised more and possibly gain more followers. The passion these disabled athletes display is equal, if not more, than that of the professional athletes we are custom to today. They deserve more recognition than what they get.
    -Michael Discipio

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish the Paralympics were covered. I would thoroughly enjoy watching them. There has been a movie called Murderball on TV that has really spiked my interest in the Paralympics because the games might have the same name but it is an entirely different game. I would love to see the differences but also give my appreciation to those playing in them. The people playing in them not only have to overcome intense training but have also had to overcome many other difficulties with their disabilities. It is almost more impressive than the regular Olympics.

    Sam Melchor

    ReplyDelete