Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gene Csakany- A disability but an inspiration



In class on Thursday we discussed a few different topics until finally talking about athletes who are disabled.  As a class we were able to name many different athletes who have significant disabilities.  This is something that is a remarkable feat to be able to accomplish in the case of someone such as Kyle Maynard, Oscar Pistorious and Bethany Hamilton.  All of these athletes and many more have accomplished many accolades in their respected sports, and all while being handicapped.  As cliché as it sounds it really makes any of us who were former athletes really appreciate everything we have, while also striving for ourselves to work harder.  The levels of training each of these athletes must have needed to go through to not only overcome their severe handicap but to be able to perform at a highly competitive level is truly remarkable.   The interesting thing about all of those athletes is that none of them competed in “special” leagues were they were put up against only other people with disabilities.  All of them did it while competing against other individuals without any disability.  This is something that each of us should look back on when we are working out, or studying for an exam, or any strenuous task throughout our lives.  None of these individuals asked for their disability or did something negative to cause it to happen.  And when they all had a perfectly understandable reason to just give up and quit, they kept going, and basically fought their way back to a competitive level, and all though it is so cheesy to say, if someone with a disability can fight back from their adversity, then any of us without a disability should certainly be able to fight back from ours.   

4 comments:

  1. Well said, I totally agree with your thinking. I think it is extremely inspiring to see them be able to compete in the normal leagues of players. I think they should get more publicity because it would not only bring more light to what they have accomplished, but it would be motivating for all the other athletes watching sports to become better as well. I had to sit out for 7 months my junior year of high due to 2 torn meniscuses and I could hardly take it. I know this isn’t a permanent disability like some of the athletes have but it was a good enough example for me. From then on I took advantage of any opportunity I had to be active and participate in everything I had interest in. A lot of people do not know what it is like to actually not be physically able to do something and once it happens you really change your thinking. Those with disabilities, I give them the most credit I can possibly give them because I now kind of know what they have to endure every day to be as good as they are.

    BY: RJ Hefflinger

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I believe this post is very true and that the people that are born with these disadvantages have to do so much more just to compensate for what they lack. None of these people choose to be like this, and that is so right. It makes me feel so grateful to have played sports in high-school; and other than a bum shoulder from too many innings pitched i got to do it relatively unharmed. And then after that you think of all those people who didn't quit, who couldn't quit. I'm not sure if it is because of the disability that makes them be able to fight through adversity or if it something only some of them have. But whatever it is, they are better people than me.

    -Aaron Mehling

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a great point, it is so easy for us to take what we have for granted and looking at these athletes changes my perspective on things I have to do that I find challenging. It is amazing what these athletes have accomplished and how inspiring each of their stories are. I can't imagine how hard it was for them to fight through their disability and reach the competitive level that they did. I've never had a serious injury that held me out of competition or kept me from reaching my highest level of competition. After seeing what these athletes have done I can't complain about what I have had to go through, because it seems easy when comparing myself to them.

    By: Jacob Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great. I respect to handicap athletes becasue they are angels to handicap people. Many handicap people have week mind. For example, one of my friend's father had car accident, and he couldn't walk. Thus, he alwasy stayed in his room and their family worried about that. However, one day he watched the paralympics, after that, He got strong mind for his family and his health, so he started work out. He is runner athlete in his town. Thus, handicap athletes are showing to other handicap people about they can play sport, and they can be needer from other people.

    -Junho Song-

    ReplyDelete