Monday, September 10, 2012

Sporty Barbie?

By: Kristi Kopaniasz

Type in "Sporty Barbie" into a Google image search. Below are some of the images that come up.

If I'm not mistaken, I have never seen a tennis player in bikini bottoms, with sun glasses, hair down and make up done. It was hard to find sport barbie dolls. Most of them are in pink dresses and high heels. If a tennis player came out in that outfit, people would laugh. I feel that young girls are turned away from sports because of their up bringing. Not only do these Barbies show over feminized sport going females but they are unrealistic. Being involved with BGSU's Women Club Volleyball team I know that our team may focus too much on the importance of looks. We talked about new jerseys, warm ups and shoes before the teams were even picked. Women are much more worries about their looks while they play then men are, I feel.

- At what age do you feel girls are turned away from sports and what is the reason behind that?

We talked about men and women being equal in sports but physically that just isn't realistic. I am currently taking a PEG volleyball class for fun. I am better then most of the men in the class because of my skill and technique level. However I have played volleyball since I was 10, they have not. If we both had the same amount of training the men would be better then me because physically they are stronger and bigger. It goes the other way too. Men can be better then women in a sport because of training. I don't feel that just because someone is male or female means they have a pre-set stereotype placed on them.

- For the women in the class, have you ever been viewed as not as good in a co-ed sport or while playing with other males and had to work harder to prove them wrong?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristi,

    This is another great post written by you! I have an answer to both of the questions that you asked. In response to the first question, I feel that around age 12 and 13 (entering and being in Junior High) is when girls are turned away from sports (excluding Cheer leading). I say this age because that is when a girls focus starts to change, more than likely girls around that age are at a new school with new people, and their interest starts being on boys instead of sports. I say this because I remember this happening back when I was in the 7th and 8th grade. At that point in time, all girls care about is looking cute and doing well in school, and they feel like by doing sports, it takes away them looking cute. Lastly, in response to the 2nd question, personally, I've grown up playing against boys in basketball, whether it was one on one or on teams against them. Playing against boys makes girls work harder because a nice majority of them are already quicker, faster, and stronger than girls. Even today, when I play intramural basketball or even basketball at the recreation center, I still have to work a little bit harder so that I can prove them wrong, and once that happens, its like they then respect you and your game a little bit more.

    -Turea Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi,

    Great Post, I am baffled at the photos you found in the "Sporty Barbie" search. It is ridiculous the amount of social pressure put into sport and gender roles within. I remember growing up fighting over a WNBA Barbie with my sister, even though we had numerous other dolls to play with- I wanted the athlete. This is probably not very typical for girls at this age, but I had already determined I was into sport and wasn't ashamed of it. I still was a girl, I took dance and gymnastic lessons, went to sleepovers, and borrowed my mom's makeup to play pretend- but I did it with a ponytail.
    I was raised to take pride in sport and use it as a learning tool. Sport was my biggest influence to be social, live a healthy and active lifestyle, and has also taught me very valuable interpersonal skills. I cannot imagine what I would be like or my career aspirations would be if I hadn't been involved in sport.

    To answer the question you posed, I have definitely played against boys in sports that are typically divided between men and women (basketball, football, soccer, etc.) and often found myself at a higher skill level. I worked hard, but didn't necessarily have to work harder to prove myself. There have been a few instances in college intramurals that boys have been naive to the female talent on their teams, or their potential to contribute. When given the opportunity in basketball specifically, the males I played with realized I was a very skilled ball-handler and from then on I ran the point. It felt good to be given a chance, but also I was a little unnerved that it was even questioned at first.

    It seems that social realms take hold when it comes to the topic of men and women together in sport. There will never be a black and white answer to who should play with who in what sports. I personally hope that especially in youth sports equality is promoted as long as social grips on sport allow it, and by then it is engrained that sport is for everyone.

    Stephanie Loomis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and comments by everyone on this topic. I hope you will all feel free to share these perspectives in class.

    Nice job!

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete